How MedShr protects your privacy
MedShr was developed to enable doctors to use their own smartphone to share and discuss clinical cases, and to do this in a way that is compliant in terms of patient privacy, data protection and information governance.
MedShr: a private, professional and verified networkAll MedShr members are verified as doctors, medical students or registered healthcare professionals before being allowed to view or discuss clinical cases. The basic principle is that members are expected to conduct themselves as they would in a professional environment, and that they will be held to account by their registering body if necessary. MedShr cases are anonymous, with patient consent for photos and movies to be shared for medical education. The case histories, descriptions, images and discussions are not allowed off the MedShr platform, and are stored in encrypted cloud storage. Members determine whether a case is visible to all members, to a group or selected members. The MedShr Community Team review cases to ensure they adhere to privacy requirements and there are simple ways for members to report any concerns. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_c2lbS54ZU
MedShr protects member privacy and patient dataRecent news on Facebook and how Cambridge Analytica gathered information about users has highlighted the need for networks to protect their members and take responsibility for the data they hold. MedShr does not share individual member information with any third party without consent. For members who sign up or log in using the Facebook, LinkedIn or Google API we only use this to collect the profile data that is required to pre-populate their profile information.
MedShr is GMC and HIPAA compliantMedShr is registered with the Information Commissioners Office and is compliant with the Data Protection Act. The system is compliant with GMC and RCN requirements in the UK, and HIPAA compliant in the USA. We also work with a range of NHS bodies and Health Education England.
- Right of Access: Our members have the right to get access to their personal data and information about how this personal data is being processed.
- Right to Erasure: A member has the right to request erasure of personal data related to them on any one of a number of grounds
- Data Portability: A person is to be able to transfer personal data from one electronic processing system to and into another
MedShr Commercial Partners and SponsorsMedShr is free to use and we work with a range of commercial partners and sponsors to fund the network. These include commercial educators (e.g. BMJ Group, Omniamed, and Cardiovascular Research Foundation), pharmaceutical and device companies, and healthcare providers (e.g. NHS, BMI, Abraaj Group). There are some basis principles that are applied to protect our members maintain the integrity of MedShr:
- Industry employees do not have access to the MedShr platform and are not able to create, view or comment on cases.
- MedShr cases are created by physicians and not by industry employees
- MedShr does not provide any personal member data about members to commercial sponsors
- Commercial sponsors may supply content to MedShr, such as webinars or troubleshooting movies for devices. Any such content or advertisement is clearly marked as such.
Sign in or Register to comment